How Transforming Student Materials Can Maximize Learning

By David Kwan

Consider Your Student Materials and If You Should Transform Them

Consider the major types of materials you give your students and whether they are optimized for their learning. You may consider whether your guided notes and graphic organizers support your multi-sensory learners. You may want to add more challenging questions to your pre-existing homework assignment. You may also wish that your students had more space and the right tools to demonstrate their understanding on a quiz or test. While some of your existing materials may serve their exact purpose, chances are there are a few that could use a tune-up and others that could be completely transformed.

Read More

Math Tasks With Multiple Solutions: Practice What You Preach

BY DAVID KWAN

In Part 1 of this series, I advocated for more math tasks that have multiple solutions because they get students to take ownership over generating a solution that works; I decided to practice what I preached. I created a Dan Meyer’s inspired math task, shared it with him, and got as many results as possible using Formative.

Read More

Math Tasks With Multiple Solutions: An Example Of One and Why They Are Essential

BY DAVID KWAN

Try to figure out the math problem in Dan Meyer’s video below!!

How Dan Meyer’s Video Hooks You

A man receives a chocolate milk recipe from his aunt and goes about adding 4 scoops of chocolate to 1 cup of milk. Everything is going smoothly and then oops, he adds a fifth scoop of chocolate. Now, most people I know would either be thrilled or at worst indifferent about the prospect of an extra scoop of chocolate. After all, what is chocolate milk if not chocolaty? But Nana is different. She wants it her way and won’t take anything but. So now the man is probably sweating over how he can fix this problem and I can understand how he feels. In fact, I want to help him out. How can I help him fix his chocolate Frankenstein before Nana gets home?

Read More

Formative and the SAMR model

BY Craig Jones

The SAMR model is often discussed when describing technology’s role in redefining the classroom.  The model acts as a scale on which to categorize technology.

Read More

Check out Mathmistakes.org

BY CRAIG JONES

We recently had a chance to look at Mathmistakes.org and really recommend that you do, too.

This site is all about looking at student work and then analyzing better ways to help students overcome mistakes (or as we’d prefer to call them: misconceptions).

Read More

Why do teachers love formative assessment?

BY CRAIG JONES

Teachers love to talk about “good” and “bad” assessments, but why is there such a strong difference?  Why do educators love the process known as formative assessment and have such strong sentiments against other types of assessment?

Read More

Formative partners with Clever

BY CRAIG JONES

On September 15th, all Clever users at over 25,000+ schools may ask their principals or administrators for one click-access to Formative (tell your school administrator to check their email or ask clever for instant access!)

Read More

The San Carlos School District is Preparing Students for Success in the 21st Century

by craig jones

Today was a great day as we visited numerous classrooms in preparation for our upcoming January-March research.  Thanks to the incredible people of the San Carlos School District, we are being given all access to talk with teachers about design thinking and their dreams of a 21st century school.  As a result, we’d like to share the bold and exciting vision of SCSD:

Read More