3 Questions For Formative Champion...Jesse Slick!

From L-R: Jesse S. , Jennifer M. , Jonathan M. (from HQ) , Jared F.

From L-R: Jesse S. , Jennifer M. , Jonathan M. (from HQ) , Jared F.

A few weeks ago, we got to visit the Beaverton School District and meet a true Formative champion, Jesse Slick! Jesse teaches 7th grade math there and has been using Formative since the beginning of the school year. Most recently, he applied to be a Formative Educator and shared how he uses Formative each day to enrich class discussions. We asked him a few questions about how his use of Formative evolved and he was gracious enough to share! Check it out!

How did you first hear about Formative? What got you hooked?

First heard of Formative in September 2017. Jennifer Mann (pictured above) is our school tech liaison and she’s always helping anyone and everyone become more tech savvy. She mentioned it to me at the beginning of this school year. My first impression had me thinking this was going to be one more thing on my plate and at that time I felt overwhelmed thinking about implementing a new curriculum. At that moment I only created an account but had not used it yet.

Jesse, facilitating a class discussion using Formative!

Jesse, facilitating a class discussion using Formative!

However, after Christmas break, when school resumed in January, Jenn tried again to get us on Formative. Since we had already created an account in September, it was easy to get back in and try making our first formative. It was not too long after making that one formative in January that I was hooked and saw the value and power of reviewing the results and data as a class.

At first, I was only going to be making exit slips and warm-ups. Only quick hitters for quick feedback. My main goal at that moment was to go over the results as a class and reinforce good practices while only taking up 10-15 minutes of time. However, shortly after I was making formatives to be in sync with my CPM math textbook. I’ve now made over 100 formatives in the last four months and will continue to make them until I have enough for every day of the school year for next year. 

A formative for every day of the school year...that's amazing! What's your favorite Formative feature? Have you started to use the student growth tracker?

Jesse's student sharing his live responses on a formative!

Jesse's student sharing his live responses on a formative!

My favorite formative tool to use is the enhanced photo feature because I can tag the photo anywhere and ask questions about items within the document. I’ve used photos from the internet, CPM textbook, or any document that I like, edit the picture on my iPad using Notability, and then I make my questions. I plan on using the standards when I begin my premium subscription.

Do you collaborate with any of your colleagues to use Formative? 

I am on a math team and we do share formatives with each other. I’ve even shared some formatives with the 6th and 8th Grade Math teams when I felt they could use it. 

The best part of sharing and collaborating with Formative is the convenience. It’s easier and time saving editing someone else’s formative. Having a network of people working toward a common goal is simple when using Formative. 

Lastly, I was able to share about Formative to all of the 7th Grade math teachers in the Beaverton School District. I took over the screen and gave a quick 10 minute tutorial for how this pairs nicely with our new curriculum. Our math TOSA was in the room and he is very excited about GF. 

Thank you so much for sharing Jesse!