Ms. Teaford's Story (HS ACT Prep/Reading)

ACT Prep/Reading teacher Ms. Teaford uses Formative to assess her students' higher-order thinking skills and engage them in peer assessment activities like "My Favorite No":

"I have used go formative in my classroom to prepare students for the upcoming Aspire test in April. Each ACT Aspire Reading Assessment contains several passages in which students answer a series of selected-response (multiple-choice), technology-enhanced, and constructed-response questions that assess their abilities to recognize meaning in, reason logically about, and make connections between and among texts.

All levels of the ACT Aspire Reading assessments include constructed-response tasks that measure the higher-order cognitive processes necessary of reading and understanding increasingly complex texts. The types of constructed-response tasks in ACT Aspire Reading assessments include the following examples.

·         Formulate a conclusion by making connections within a passage, and provide support using specific details from the text

·         Formulate a conclusion by making connections between a pair of passages, and provide support using specific details from both texts.

·         Identify cause-and-effect relationships within a passage, and provide support using specific details from the text.

·         Identify similarities and differences between the key ideals of paired passages, and provide support using specific details from both texts.

I am moving towards and paperless classroom and Formative has helped me to achieve this goal. I need to expose the students to a variety of reading passages and Formative has enabled me to do this. I search for reading passages on the web and upload and transform them into an interactive test. With Formative I am able to ask questions in a variety of ways to assess understanding.

The data that I receive from Formative helps to drive my instruction. One thing that I do is share my favorite “no” with the students and have them assess why they think the answer is wrong and what they could do to make it right. I display various short answer responses and we analyze them and make needed corrections as a whole group. This is a skill they will need on the Aspire test because many times a student might be asked why a certain answer is wrong

I have just began using Formative and plan on using it to prepare students for the ACT Aspire Math assessment. The View only canvas and show your work question will be a tool that will enable me to quickly assess students understanding of various math skills and correct them."

-Ms. Teaford